The English Department at Downland School is dedicated to providing our students with the skills needed to achieve their personal academic goals. By valuing the importance of reading, writing and confident communication, we are preparing our students to become life-long, independent learners and contributing members of society.
We encourage our students to take responsibility for their own learning. Learning English at Downland School will be challenging, engaging and provide rigorous application of support and strategies to enable young learners to develop academically and personally. Independent working and group working learning opportunities are encouraged so students are fully prepared for the world beyond the classroom.
- Introducing our students to a variety of literary genres.
- Promoting an appreciation of literature within our classrooms.
- Developing both oral and written communication skills.
- Improving writing skills by exploring a variety of writing experiences including the writing of poetry, essays, and stories.
- Teaching the research process.
- Providing all students the opportunity to access the curriculum through personalised, short-term achievable goals.
- Developing creativity within the subject using cross-curricular opportunities to reinforce cross-subject literacy.
In the Foundation years, we teach literacy lessons to ensure that students are given the support and challenge they need to reach or exceed their age related expectations. WRAT testing is carried out bi-annually to ensure that gaps in learning and skills are identified and allow support to be given across all subject areas with literacy.
Key Stage 4
Qualification: English Language
Examination Board: WJEC / EDUQAS
WJEC EDUQAS GCSE (9-1) in English Language
Number of lessons per week: 4
The schedule of teaching for Year 10 and Year 11 modules, depends on both the areas of strength and development, within the group. Most skills will be covered in Year 10 and developed and enhanced in Year 11. The teaching and delivery of the content is designed to suit the skill sets of the students, containing specific challenge and assistance to maximise their progress and achievement in the subject.